Bone that gives structure to the human body is an integral part, which needs to be given more importance. Although bones are strong, there still arises a problem like low bone density, broken bone, and other issues, which certainly disturbs the regular and even simple activity of a person.
Right from small newborn babies to elders has the possibilities to get their bones fractured. The moment anyone realizes a break in the bone they rush to the hospital for the treatment. This instant reaction cannot be denied; because once a bone is fractured it causes terrible pain in the affected area.
In addition to pain, the person will also experience swelling in that area along with numbness and blood under the skin. He or she may also tend to lose the pulse below the fracture. Although fracture is very common in older people and young children, you can still heal this condition using some home remedies that are effective too.
More to know about Bone and Bone Fracture
Until a person reaches his/her 30 – 40 years of age, the bone mass tends to increase continually throughout the life. But after this age, the net bone loss occurs, where the bone resorption will exceed the amount of bone formed. At this stage, the bones will start losing their density continuously after the age of 30. Therefore, your bone health should be given more importance, which will help to reduce the chances of bone fracture.
Although bone fracture is caused due to injuries like a motor accident, sports injury or due to osteoporosis, the condition should be immobilized. There are also home and natural remedies, which you can take for fast recovery.
Why do Bones Break?
The main reason for why the bone break is due to the excessive pressure put on them. This is called fracture. The bone fracture is differentiated into many types and they include:
- Open fracture: When the bone breaks and skin become visible
- Hairline / closed fracture: This is the condition when the stress is caused due to repeated forces
Most of the fractures are caused due to continuous compression of the bones. It may also occur due to medical conditions, which causes the bones to weaken.
Bone cancer and Osteoporosis causes the bone to weaken, leading to fracture over the days. Any bone may get weaken and break. Remember, bones are hard and they are capable of bearing any strong forces, but they tend to break only when the force acting on them is stronger, especially when the bone is weak.
The open fracture is considered to be dangerous compared to the closed fracture, as they are prone to produce inflammation and infection of the broken bone.
Main Causes of Bone Fracture:
Some of the main causes of bone fracture include:
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Continuous running for long period, especially in case of athletes
- Standing for long hours in work environment, which may cause fracture in smaller bones like ankle, fibula, tibia
- When you become old
- Bone cancer
- Diabetes can also cause osteoporosis and weaken the bones
Notable Symptoms of Bone Fracture:
Some visible symptoms can help a person to determine fracture in the bone and to point a few:
- Swell in the affected region
- Pain in and in the around the affected region of the bone
- Unable to move the part, like hand or leg or any other region that is fractured
- Intense bruising pain in the bone
- Bleed in the broken bone
Effective Home Remedies for Broken Bones
Besides knowing the causes, symptoms of broken or fractured bones, here we see some of the most effective home and natural remedies that can fasten up the cure. There is no doubt that these home remedies can boost up your energy and heal the condition quickly. Here follow some of the useful home remedies:
- Avoid caffeine: It is strictly recommendable to avoid drinking caffeine containing drinks, as it will reduce the speed of healing of the bone
- Never take preserved foods: Avoid any foods containing preservatives, as they will contain more phosphorus, which will cause bone loss over the day. For example, pickle and processed food
- Take almonds, walnuts, and flaxseeds that are really healthy and can improve the bone strength. They also support bone formation
- Exposure to Sun: Vitamin D is very important to enable the bones to absorb calcium, therefore try to expose yourself to sunlight every day for at least 20 minutes in the morning
- Keep in the right position: This is very important for proper and quick heal. By keeping the bones in right position, it helps to get natural heal, therefore try to use some support to reduce the strain and pain
Precautions to Take for Quick Heal of Bone Fracture:
It is very important to take enough precautions for quick heal. Here are some useful tips to help you find natural and quick heal;
- Take increased amount of calcium-rich diet.
- Do not move the part of broken bone, rather try to put splint or sling to avoid movements
- Keep ice packs in the injured region to reduce pain and swell
- Avoid smoking and alcohol
Foods to take for Natural heal of Broken Bone
- Turmeric:The most important ingredient with ample health benefits is Turmeric. Including turmeric in your regular diet brings many great benefits to your health, including strengthening your bones. It has the properties of healing broken bones. It has anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties. You can drink turmeric milk every day to get maximum benefits.
- Castor Oil: This is the best remedy to treat infections, skin problems, constipation and other problems. It serves to be the best anti-inflammatory and antibacterial agent. It is widely used to treat bone fracture and arthritis. Simply dip castor oil in a cotton cloth and wrap it around the affected region continuously for few days. You can find the improvement quickly.
- Calcium / Magnesium-rich foods:Try to take foods that are the rich content of calcium and magnesium. These minerals can help to heal bone fracture quickly. You can take a lot of green leafy vegetables, oysters, soybeans, and molasses. You can also take vegetables like broccoli, collards, mustard greens, Brussels sprouts, and kale. These foods have bone healing supplements. You can also take dairy products like kefir, yogurt, and amasai to gain calcium.
- Zinc-rich foods: Try to increase zinc intake in your food to promote repair of damaged tissues that are associated with broken bone. You can take seafood like oysters, salmon, lobster and clams that are rich in zinc.
- Pineapple: Never neglect the importance of pineapple, as this fruit can help healing the fractured bone quickly, as it contains bromelain, which is anti-inflammatory and can reduce the pain
- Sesame seeds: This is another effective remedy. Try to soak sesame seeds in water overnight and grind it into a paste. Take one teaspoon of the paste with a glass of hot milk in the morning every day. This can reduce the pain, swell and help in quick natural heal
- Vitamin rich foods / Supplements: You can consider taking supplements like boron, which can help healing your bone fracture quickly. Try to take vitamin rich foods like carrots, green leaves, pulses, cereals and other foods that can help quick strengthening of your bones
- Vitamin C:Never ignore the importance of Vitamin C, as this will help to develop collagen that aids the body to form healthy bones. Consider taking ingredients in your diet like pepper, lemon juice and fruits like strawberries, cauliflower, papaya and oranges
- Vitamin K: This is an other important mineral that your body needs to generate and strengthen the bone. To gain vitamin K take dairy products like kefir and cheese. Vitamin K2 is also essential not only to form bone but also blood clotting
- Clean Lean Protein: Protein is very important to gain or rebuild lost tissue. Therefore try to take 4-5 oz of organic meal, which contains lean protein like wild-caught fish
Foods to Avoid:
Besides knowing foods to take, here follow some foods you should strictly avoid strengthening your bone and curing fracture quickly:
- Reduce salt intake: Remember, sodium can remove calcium from the bones, therefore try to limit salt intake.
- Avoid sugar and refined grains: These ingredients can cause bone loss and reduce the absorption of nutrients by the body while delaying or preventing healing of wound
- Avoid sugar-sweetened beverage: The content of phosphorus in cola can remove the calcium present in the bones
- Avoid eating red meat
- Other Recommendable and Effective Remedies for Strengthening Bones and Prevent Bone Fracture
- Vitamin D3: Essential for absorbing calcium
- Omega-3 Fat: Essential for healing wound and reduce inflammation due to injury
- Essential oils: Try to apply essential oils on the affected area like cypress, helichrysum, and fir to repair bone quickly.
In addition to the above-said remedies for bone fracture, you should also take enough rest. Avoid movements for few days. Try to take the given medications and follow the home remedies strictly, as they can bring amazing benefits to you within few days.