Colocasia also known as taro plants are generally found outside and are also regarded as very hardy plant. They basically grows outside where the basic elements are wild. We all know how a taro plant looks like but many of you don’t know the various uses of the plant. The root and leaves of Colocasia or taro are very useful for treatment of various diseases.
The Colocasia has several names such as the taro, the dasheen plant and the chinese potato plant. These plants generally grow in the South eastern part of Asia and India under wet and humid climates.
Taro or colocasia are basically prepared by boiling steaming or baking. They are also added in delicious stews, soups and any curry.
Colocasia root – Health benefits
The taro roots generally come from the leafy green plant known as Colocasia esculenta. These roots are used as vegetables and are also known as “the potato of the tropics”. The roots of the colocasia plant should be properly cooked and washed to enjoy its health benefits. They may cause swelling in the mouth if eaten raw.
The main health benefits of colocasia root or taro roots are-
- Controls blood sugar levels– They are one of the healthiest sources of fiber and complex carbohydrates helping the body to control blood sugar level.
- Decreases weight– The soluble and insoluble fiber is also very helpful for those who is trying to loose weight.
- Prevents constipation– The roots aid the body to control its hunger levels, prevents constipation and reduces irritable bowel syndrome.
- Prevents diabetes– Eating this food daily helps in the reduction of the risk of diabetes. It also regulates insulin and glucose level in the body preventing blood sugar spikes.
- Eye treatment – Cryptoxanthin and beta-carotene and powerful anti oxidants within tar improves the health of eyes.
- Improves health of heart– It is an excellent source of potassium which improves the health of the heart and cardiovascular system. It does this by controlling the blood pressure and regulating the heart rate.
- Skin enhancer– Vitamins E and A present in it improves the health of skin, by reducing wrinkles and blemishes ultimately giving a healthy glow to the skin.
- RBC production– It also has a wide range of vitamin b which are important for producing RBC boosting brain function and energy production.
Colocasia leaves – Health benefits
The main health benefits of colocasia leaves or taro leaves are-
- Colocasia leaves are an excellent source of vitamins required for the body.
- It is also an excellent source for proteins.
- Excellent source of fiber , which helps to balance your digestive system and reduces bloating and gas.
- The taro leaves also contain bone and teeth strengthening calcium. This is more bioavailable than the calcium found in milk and is easily absorbed by the body.
- They also contain Vitamin A and C which helps in boosting the immune system.
- Helps in reducing diabetes.
- The phosphorous, iron, magnesium and folate present in the leaves helps to manage. your body’s natural functions such as production of healthy blood cells.
- The leaves can also be used to make dye for bark cloth known as kappa.
- The potassium within the leaves helps to regulate your heartbeat and maintains a healthy heart.
Colocasia Itching Remedy
The easiest and simplest way for itching remedy is to wash your hands with salt and lemon. But remember do not use water. Rub your hands continously till the salt and lemon turns into a fluid type of solution and then clean it of with a cloth.
REMEMBER- do not use water or it will increase the itching.
Colocasia In Pregnancy
Fiber and protein present in the colocasia or taro is very beneficial during pregnancy. It is a all in one diet solution during pregnancy since it contains vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and many others. The presence of calcium and iron is the most essential food required during pregnancy. The leaves serves this occasion. But it is always important to remember that “much consumption of any food is always harmful“.
ALSO READ ABOUT
Ajinomoto – It Is Not At All Harmful
This colocasia remedy actually helped me!! Cheers.