This question generally rises on our minds when we are sick, down with fever or have developed a cold. Doctors generally suggest taking complete bed rest as these conditions generally get treated within 4-5 days until the situation is serious.
Common cold or fever gets treated by your doctor’s prescribed medications but none mentions whether one should continue their workout regime during fever or cold, more precisely, whether it is safe to work out when we have fever or cold. So today in this article we will be discussing this question and will be providing the correct answer in accordance with medical researches and studies. Let’s begin.
How fever makes us weak?
Fever generally refers to when your body’s temperature is above 99 degrees Fahrenheit. When your body’s temperature passes this value it is known as fever. If you have a fever you should never do workouts, rather you should take complete bed rest. After 3-4 days of following your doctor’s advice your fever goes down, your body recovers and then you can go back to your daily workout regime.
But if you are trying to work out or even putting your body into any sort of physical work while you are having a fever, the body takes more time to recover from the fever. Sometimes the fever could even last for 5-6 days if you have a weaker immune system.
When can you work out?
- If you have a minor headache you can still work out.
- If you have a mild cold or seasonal cold you can still work out.
- If you have a sore throat you can definitely workout.
When should you not work out?
- If you are coughing continuously it is never recommended to hit the gym before consulting your doctor.
- If you have developed a sudden cold it is recommended to take a day off.
- If you have a fever, take a break for about 3 days or more till your body recovers and you feel better.
What should you not do while you have a fever? ( for people who are into regular gymming )
- Never go to the gym and start your daily workout.
- It is recommended to perform less physical activities
- Do not follow your body-building diet rather only follow the diet recommended by your doctor for a speedy recovery.
- Do not consume any types of health or protein supplements while you have a fever.
Why you do not need to concentrate on your calories while you have a fever?
During fever, the amount of calories in your body is less. When you are having medicines during fever the medications cause loss of appetite. Your appetite becomes weak and your metabolism rate also becomes slow. As a result, you don’t feel hungry during fever, even water feels bitter in taste.
Your weight may go down ( 2-5 pounds) but this weight loss is due to the lack of fluid in your body during fever. Your nutrition consumption drops by 70% and at the same time, one does not drink enough water during this period. So, it is always recommended to drink ample water during fever, so that the loss is less. It might take 1 week for your body to completely recover from this condition but you can definitely hit the gym hard and make up for that period.
What should you consume for a speedy recovery from fever?
- You should go for chicken soup, vegetables, plain dal and roti in your meal.
- Keep your meals light as much as possible.
- Always try to consume more milk during fever ( goat’s milk is more efficient than cow’s milk ) as milk helps you to charge your cells up which ultimately plays a vital role in quick recovery
- You can take pomegranate juice once in the evening to regain strength and stamina during this phase.
- You should at least have one apple and one kiwifruit during this condition. Both of these fruits help in the activation of cells and remove your weakness. Orange can also be consumed instead of kiwifruit.
- Trying to have as much water as possible ( minimum 200ml water per 2 hours ) as water helps in removing toxins from your body via the urine.