To plan your jaundice diet you must know what jaundice is. Jaundice generally occurs due to the damage of liver. Now why liver damage occurs? Viral hepatitis- hepatitis A, B, C ,D,E causes jaundice. Hepatitis A and E are acute hepatitis, they are self resolving, more then 90% patient is treated easily with the symptomatic treatment.
Causes of jaundice
- The main reason of jaundice is the rise of bilirubin in the body.
- Alcoholic hepatitis- due to consumption of a lot of alcohol this hepatitis occur and leads to jaundice.
- Another factor is consumption of a lot of medications. Some medications lead to liver damage thus resulting in jaundice.
- Cirrhosis of liver leads to jaundice.
- Cirrhosis is the last stage of liver damage. Liver produces pit cells and this pit cells passes through the bile duct and ends in the small intestine, helping in digestion. The gall bladder is also associated with the biliary tract, where stone occurs. When the stones slips to the biliary tract the flow of pit cells stop thus leading to jaundice in the liver.
- Jaundice also occurs due to cancer in liver and due to blood related disorders. When RBC keeps breaking down jaundice tends to happen.
- Another factor of jaundice is Gilbert Syndrome .In India It is basically found in around 5-7% of people. But this is a physiological jaundice not the disease jaundice because no liver damage is seen in this type of jaundice, nor cirrhosis of liver is seen. No treatments are required for this type of jaundice.
Diet plan for jaundice – what to have and what not to?
The diet plan for jaundice is absolutely different compared to other diseases in liver.
So today we are going to talk about the foods that we should have and the foods that we should not have during jaundice. During jaundice the food and the liquid we intake plays an important role in the treatment of jaundice. You can also use some medications like Liv 52 tablets or syrup for liver betterment but you should always consult a doctor first.
Liquid diets for jaundice
- Drink a lot of water throughout the day because water is regarded as the cleaner in our body thus helping in detoxification of the body.
- Consume lime water as much as possible. Also you can can mix Glucon D with water to enhance the functionability. Glucon D cleans your liver and plays an important part in the treatment of jaundice. Also you can consume “chaas” or buttermilk. It is free from fat.
- You can also consume all types of fruit juices but it should be noted that the fruit juices should be home made. Packed or canned juices should not be consumed. In fact during jaundice the more the liquids intake the more detoxification occurs in liver since liquids are easy to digest.
- If you are a regular tea consumer then drink herbal tea instead of normal tea , but even if you are consuming normal tea then use schemed milk, because schemed milk does not contain any fat. We will talk about schemed milk at the later part of this blog.
- Honey is another great liquid that can be taken during jaundice. Vegetable juice and tomato soup can also be consumed during jaundice.
How to make schemed milk?
Heat the normal milk till it is boiling. After cooling down put it in a refrigerator. After 3-4 hours a layer of milk is found. This layer needs to be removed and then the milk is heated again. And then the process is repeated again. This schemed milk can be used in tea during jaundice.
Vegetable diet for jaundice
All types of vegetables can be consumed during jaundice. Even you should consume salads . But remember to put less or no spices at all during the preparation. Oil should also be used less during jaundice and instead of oil you can use olive oil but that too in a less amount.
Which vegetables are more effective during jaundice?
- Sweet potato
Which fruits are more effective during jaundice?
All types of fruit are great for your health, but some of them are excellent for jaundice. But some are more efficient compared to the others during jaundice
Some common food items that can be consumed during jaundice
- Oat meals
But you should not take peanuts because it has oil content. Plain idli and popcorn can also be taken. Most type of sweets can be taken during jaundice.
Sugarcane juice is a very good liquid for jaundice recovery but it should be kept in notice that the sugarcane should be clean and hygienic.
Can nonveg can be consumed during jaundice?
The simple answer is NO u should not consume any sorts of non veg during jaundice.
Food items that should not be consumed during jaundice
- Alcohol not not be even touched if you have jaundice.
- Soda should not be taken.
- Bakery items such as cake, pastry should not be taken.
- White bread should not be taken. If you want bread then you can go for brown bread.
- Packed food items should be ignored during jaundice.
- Fried food items should be ignored entirely.
- Milk should not be taken but as i mentioned before schemed milk can be taken as tea.
- Homeopathic and allopathic medications without doctor’s advice should not be taken.
- In the jaundice diet, lessen the use of sodium and salt.