Nasya karma or the ayurvedic part of panchakarma which basically means installation of herbal oils, juices or powders through the nasal route. It is specifically designed for ENT disorders that basically means ear, throat and nose disorders.
How is nasya karma done?
It begins with a facial massage with a herbal oil followed by localized steam application and installation of drops in the nose.
How does nasya karma work?
As per ayurveda, nasal cavity is the opening to the brain which basically means anything given through the nose reaches your brain so in other words your nasal cavity is opening to your brain therefore medicated oil, juices, powder or anything given to the nose stimulates the vital centers of your brain to overcome specific diseases. On clinical terms, this medicine enters into the blood circulation present in ANS around the nose thus clearing the mucus blockages present are distributed in the nearby areas. It does relieves the blockage of the channels and the diseases are cured effectively.
Benefits of nasya karma
Nasya karma cleanses, purifies and strengthens the nasal passages allowing you to to breathe fully and easily again. It is highly recommended in terms of allergies, sinusitis, headaches, migraines, cervical spondylitis, hairfall, and rhinitis.
Contraindication of nasya karma
It is contraindicated where there is infectious disease and fever.
How to do nasya karma using ayurvedic nasya oil – step by step process
Nasya treatment is the traditional Ayurvedic way of applying oil and delivering the subtle benefits of herbs through the nasal passages.
- To fill the nasya drops fill the dropper with oil
- Lie down on a flat surface and tilt your head back.
- Then bring the dropper close to your nose
- Avoid touching the tip of the dropper to your nose so that the dropper and oil do not get contaminated
- Place 3-5 drops of the nasya oil in each nostril
- Sniff two to three times to inhale the nasya oil
- Gently massage the outside of the nasal passages to help the absorption
- Relax your head and take a few deep slow breaths to really let the effect settle in.
- If you find that the nasya oil is trickling down your throat try adjusting the tilt of your head sniff more deeply or add fewer drops of oil initially.
How to do nasya karma in a seated or standing position
You can also do nasya karma in a standing or seated position just adquately tilt your head back and repeat the same steps placing 3-5 drops in each nostril, inhaling deeply and massaging the external nasal passages. Breathe deeply and allow the lubricating and calming effects of nasya to soothe your being.
When to do nasya treatment?
Nasya treatment can be done at any time of the day though it is usually done in the morning or before bedtime and not immediately after food.