Definitely, you have heard about cashew and almond nuts but tiger nuts are something that you have never heard of. Tiger nuts have no relation with the nuts family, rather they are just tubers that are highly rich in various vitamins and minerals. They belong to the sedge family and are also known as chufa and earth almond. Tiger nuts have several health benefits if consumed in the right way.
Table of Contents
How are tiger nuts eaten?
Tiger nuts are eaten dried, fresh, or even ground. They can be eaten as nuts or as a topping on your regular “sabzi”. They can also be roasted and eaten. Sometimes it can also be eaten soaked as a snack. Sometimes they are also converted into tiger nut flour, tiger nut oil, and tiger nut milk.
Health benefits of tiger nuts
1. Rich in vitamins and minerals
Tiger nuts are rich in vitamins and minerals. One serving of tiger nuts contains the following nutritional value.
- Calories – 120Kcal
- Fat – 7g
- Fiber – 10g
- Carbohydrates – 19g
- Protein – 2g
- Iron – 1.8mg
- Magnesium – 28mg
- Zinc – 1.1mg
- Potassium – 215mg
- Vitamin B6 – 0.1mg
Besides these nutrients, tiger nuts are also rich in antioxidants which helps in providing resistance and preventing diseases like cancer.
2. Improves digestion and helps in weight loss
Tiger nuts are highly rich in fiber. This high fiber content in tiger nuts helps you in weight loss and treats constipation. If you want to lose weight tiger nuts can be a great choice. It helps in keeping you full for a long time and prevents sudden hunger pangs.
Tigernuts also help in maintaining a good digestive system because of the fiber content. It helps in the treatment of constipation by maintaining smooth motion and improving your gut. They also contain enzymes that help in maintaining your gut by breaking down the food properly and preventing bloating.
3. Checks blood sugar level
Tiger nuts help in maintaining your blood sugar levels. The high fiber content in tiger nuts helps in slowing down the absorption of sugar in your gut. Also being rich in arginine tiger nuts help in increasing the production of insulin and this actually helps in maintaining your blood sugar level.
4. Great for your heart
Tiger nuts are great for your heart health. They contain a high amount of monosaturated fats which helps in lowering the “bad” LDL cholesterol and increases the “good” HDL cholesterol. As a result risks of strokes and heart attack goes down.
5. Fights against certain type of infections
Indeed, tiger nuts help in boosting your immunity by fighting against certain types of infection.
A popular test has proved the efficacy of tiger nuts in fighting against bacterias like E.coli and Staphylococcus bacteria.
6. Increases your sexual drive and instinct
Tiger nuts help in boosting libido. Ayurveda mentions tiger nuts as an aphrodisiac helping in increasing your testosterone levels and enhancing the quality of sperm. Various tests were conducted for proving this point. These tests were entirely done on animals and not human beings.
Tiger nuts also help in increasing your stamina during mating as well as boosts your sexual activities.
7. Great for pregnant women
Tiger nuts are also great for pregnant women due to their high nutrient content. Always consult your doctor before including any food items on your regular diet during pregnancy.
- Tiger nuts, being rich in fiber, helps in reducing the risk of high blood pressure and overweight problems of pregnant women.
- It can be considered a healthy alternative for lactose intolerant moms. ( Milk is essential during pregnancy. But moms with lactose intolerance cannot consume milk. Tiger nut milk can serve as an alternative here )
- Pregnant mothers need a wide range of vitamins in their diet during pregnancy. Tiger nuts contain a large number of vitamins, making them ideal for pregnant women.
- Tiger nuts are famous for boosting the production of breast milk from a woman’s breast during pregnancy.
- Tiger nuts are also rich in magnesium which helps in the easy contraction and relaxation of the uterus during labor.
- Tiger nuts also help pregnant women with improper digestion, bowel problems, and constipation.
As you can see tiger nuts just like munakkas and makhanas act as an allrounder and you should definitely try including them in your diet on a regular basis. Also, don’t forget to comment down if you have been benefitted from the consumption of tiger nuts.