Fabiflu tablet is an antiviral oral medicine generally prescribed by doctors nowadays for the treatment of coronavirus disease under emergency conditions. Fabiflu tablet contains favipiravir as its active ingredient which is responsible for stopping the virus from further replicating itself and ultimately results in speedy but steady recovery from Covid 19.
Fabiflu tablet is manufactured and marketed by Glenmark pharmaceuticals which is highly renowned in the pharmaceutical industry. Fabiflu tablet has been launched in the market precisely for the treatment of coronavirus and works really efficiently as claimed by doctors all over India.
Today in this article we will be looking at the uses, side effects, dosage and mechanism of action of Fabiflu 400mg tablet. So, let’s begin.
How does the Fabiflu tablet works?
Fabiflu tablets contain favipiravir as its active ingredient which stops the virus from replicating within the body. This tablet generally stops the virus from replicating by interfering with the viral RNA-dependent RNA polymerase enzyme which leads to the further replication of the virus. The process is broken and no further replication takes place.
For treatment of Coronavirus
Fabiflu tablets are prescribed by a doctor when you are affected by coronavirus and are in the mild or moderate stage. These tablets won’t treat the virus almost immediately but will prevent you from further degradation. Always follow your doctor’s advice for the treatment of the virus concentrating on boosting your immunity, taking precautions, self-isolation and keeping a check on your food habits.
For treatment of other viral diseases
The active ingredient in Fabiflu tablets, favipiravir was first manufactured by Toyoma chemicals for the treatment of the influenza virus. Later, this medicine was further developed and used for the treatment of the Ebola virus, Nipah virus, yellow fever and even foot and mouth disease. In one word, this medicine can be also called a broad-spectrum anti-viral medicine.
Fabiflu 400mg tablets should be strictly taken according to your doctor’s instructions. If these tablets are taken at an early stage of getting affected by the virus the recovery rate is almost 80%. For information purposes, the dosage of Fabiflu tablets is as follows.
- On the first day – 1 tablet in the morning, 1 tablet in the evening ( 1800mg dose )
- From the 2nd day up to 14 days – twice daily ( 800mg dose )
Always follow your doctor’s advice regarding the exact dosage of the medicine and how to consume it.
Side effects of Fabiflu tablets are seen rarely but if seen immediately consult your doctor. The side effects of Fabiflu tablets are as follows
- Increased uric acid levels
- Neuro-psychiatric behavioral changes
- WBC count goes up sometimes
- Sudden increase of liver enzymes
Never self-medicate or overdose on Fabiflu tablets as it may lead to some serious side effects. If done, immediately consult your doctor.
Who should not take Fabiflu 400mg tablet?
- Never take Fabiflu 400mg tablet without your doctor’s advice
- Recommended for adults only and not for kids
- If you are breastfeeding or pregnant you should never consume Fabiflu tablets
- People with gout should consult their doctor before taking these medicines
- People with liver or kidney problems should not consume these tablets
- Always let your doctor know about your past or present medical conditions ( if you have/had any)
- People who have frequent fluctuation of uric acid levels should not take these tablets
- Keep away from direct sunlight
- Keep away from the reach of children
- Store in a cool and dry place
Fabiflu 400mg tablets fall slightly under the expensive side and costs you around Rs 75 per tablet. Previously the price used to be above Rs 100 per tablet but recently they reduced the pricing to Rs 75.