Workout is frequently associated with the goal of weight reduction or maintenance. However, this isn’t the same if someone’s underweight or wants to bulk up. In such cases, people might want to exercise to gain weight. Gaining weight, on the other hand, is thought to be more challenging than losing it.
While it is customary to talk about losing weight, many people cannot put on weight due to health issues or genetics. That is why I have compiled a list of 8 basic weight gain exercises that you may do at home. But before that, let us have a look at why weight gaining is seen to be a problem for some people.
Why Could Weight Gain Be a Problem for Some?
We understand that for some people, gaining weight is relatively harder than losing it. Here, genetics has a crucial role to play as it controls your body’s growth and development. Nevertheless, there are a variety of reasons why someone may be unable to acquire weight, including the following:
- Improper diet: One of the major reasons for not gaining weight is following an improper diet plan. People with hectic work schedules find it difficult to develop a healthy diet regime; as a result, they start losing weight.
2. No exercise: To acquire weight, you must cultivate the habit of exercising regularly.
3. Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD): It is a condition in which a person has an intestinal disorder that causes inefficient digestion.
Underweight people have a BMI of less than 18.5 and are considered obese. Keep in mind that if you want to gain weight, you should do so healthily.
What Should You Eat to Help You Gain Weight?
Workout for weight gain is just one component of the equation. Though high-calorie, low-nutrient items are irresistible, there are other methods to achieve your nutritional objectives. To attain the same, you should choose high-protein meals such as milk. Vitamins, minerals, and calcium are all found in milk.
Milk is frequently referred to as a “complete meal.” Two glasses of milk every day is recommended. You may also prepare smoothies by combining milk with various ingredients such as bananas, oats, nuts, peanut butter, & Protinex to gain weight. Weight Management coaches at November Culture assess the suitability of the Protinex formula for healthy weight gain in one of their articles.
Dry fruits like cashew, walnuts, almonds, etc., can also be consumed for gaining weight. A whole egg is also considered an ideal source if you want to gain weight. Other things like rice, red meat, oats, potatoes do wonders in the weight gaining process. Potatoes are high in vitamin K, as well as carbs. It is a calorie-dense meal that promotes weight growth. The starch present in it allows energy to be released in the form of glucose. Rather than opting for sweet or fatty options, foods high in calories give energy and help increase muscle mass while avoiding any harmful fats.
Exercises to Gain Weight at Home
Weight gain exercises are perfect for at-home workouts since you need your own body as the equipment. Consider including these strength-building weight gain exercises at home in your routine.
Push-ups are an excellent weight gain workout for strengthening your torso and core. They primarily target your abdominals, shoulders, chest muscles, triceps, and the wing muscles beneath your armpit. If you have a significant shoulder injury, don’t try pushups. When executing a pushup, your core should be firm, and your glutes must be clenched. For performing pushups:
- Position your hands slightly wider than your shoulders on the floor.
- Start pushing your body till your chest reaches the floor.
- Return to your initial position.
Pull-ups are considered one of the best workouts for weight gain since they help you develop sculpted shoulders and toned arms. They primarily target your biceps and latissimus dorsi. Before doing pull-ups, ensure to warm up properly. To do pull-ups:
- Grip the pull-up bar with your palms.
- Pull yourself up to the point when your chin is just above the bar.
- Reduce your body weight until your arms are completely extended.
Crunches are commonly thought to aid in losing belly fat, but they also contribute to the improvement of core strength and weight gain. Crunches focus on the abdominal muscles as well as obliques. Prevent yourself from making fast jerking moments because there are chances it might cause injury. Also, pushing your head up while pulling your body up is not a good idea. To do crunches:
- Start by lying on your back.
- Bend your knees along with keeping your arms across your head.
- Contract your abs while you inhale.
- Exhale and elevate your upper body while maintaining a relaxed head and neck.
- Return to your previous position after taking a deep breath.
One of the best weight gain exercises is Lunges, which facilitates the development of the lower body. It aids in the building of the hip muscles and thighs. This fantastic workout helps you gain weight by targeting your abdominals, hamstrings, gluteal muscles, back muscles, and calves. Make sure your entire body is balanced and that you are not leaning too much. To do lunges:
- Stand straight and put your foot forward so that your leg will make a 90-degree angle.
- Lower your body until you find your thighs to be parallel to the ground.
- Return to your original position by pushing back.
- Repeat the same thing with the opposite leg.
- Alternate between both legs and repeat the exercise.
5. Calf Raises
It is one of the best weight gain workouts that primarily focus on building your calf muscles. To perform calf raises:
- From a standing posture, rise on your toes, keeping your knees and hips straight and your heels off the floor.
- Hold the posture for a few seconds before slowly lowering yourself.
- Repeat for the required number of counts.
6. Bench Dips
Bench dips are a simple yet effective workout for gaining weight. This exercise primarily works the triceps, but it also works the chest and front of the shoulder. You’ll need an elevated surface for this activity. If you don’t steady your body when doing dips, you risk losing control of your body, which can lead to injury. To do bench dips:
- Hold the bench’s ends with your palms.
- Your hands, along with fingertips, should be facing down to the ground.
- Stretch your legs forward, keeping them perpendicular to your torso and bent at the waist.
- Bend your elbows 90 degrees and push yourself down to lower your buttocks.
- Return to the original position by straightening your arms and lifting your torso.
- Follow the same steps as before.
7. Jump Squats
Last but not least, jump squats are another amazing one of the best exercises to gain weight. These are known to target your glutes, quads, as well as hip flexors. To perform jump squats:
- Stand with keeping your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Do a normal squat.
- Jump in the air when you finish the descending motion.
- To complete rep one, lower your body back to a regular squat stance as you land.
Exercising regularly helps you acquire weight quickly and boosts your immunity as well. Make sure you’re exercising properly, and after a few days, consider increasing the number of reps. Also, remember to eat a balanced diet. It’s important to note that this is going to take time. So, be persistent and patient in your weight-gain process, and you will see a difference.
What happens if you swallow gum? – Does the gum remain in our stomach forever?
The secret to Mirabai Chanu’s Olympic success and fitness
The Shehnaaz Gill weight loss strategy – How to lose weight without working out?
Easiest ways to fake a fever – 6 simple ways